Created in 2003, Linguapax Asia works in partnership with Linguapax International. In its role as the Asian associate, Linguapax Asia carries out the objectives of Linguapax International with a special focus on Asia and the Pacific Rim. These objectives are:
- Promoting bilingual and multilingual education
- Elaborating new approaches to language instruction that facilitate intercultural understanding
- Fostering respect of linguistic diversity and linguistic heritage
- Supporting initiatives to preserve and revitalize endangered languages
- Raising awareness of the links between language, identity, human rights, and the quest for peace
Participation in Linguapax Asia activities is open to the general public as well as to those engaged in academic research.
Linguapax aims to assist in the preservation and revitalization of endangered languages, bilingual and multilingual education. It seeks to raise awareness of the links between language, identity, human rights, and the quest for peace. Many people are involved in this work from the fields of education, linguistics, anthropology, the humanities and social activism.
For more information, visit www.linguapax-asia.org
Linguapax Asia has organized several symposiums.
"Literacy for Dialogue in Multilingual Societies", Tokyo, December 3rd 2011. Program.
"Human Trafficking", Tokyo, June 14th 2009. Program.
"Language and Propaganda", Tokyo, October 26th 2008. Program.
"Language, Religion, & Ethnicity", Tokyo, October 21st 2007. Program.
"Language in Society and the Classroom: Preserving Heritage and Supporting Diversity", Tokyo, June 11th 2005. Program
"Language Diversity & Language Ecology", Tokyo, April 17th 2004. Program.
- Literacy for Dialogue in Multilingual Societies (pdf) (English. 110 pages)
Proceedings of Linguapax Asia Symposium 2011 (Date of publication: November 2012).
- Linguapax Asia: A Retrospective Edition of Language and Human Rights Issues (pdf) (English, German, Japanese. 231 pages)
Collected Proceedings of Linguapax Asia Symposia 2004 – 2009 (Date of publication: November 2010).
You can watch various videos of the symposiums on Linguapax Asia Youtube channel (in Japanese).
Linguapax Asia organised in 2012 and 2013 several movie screenings in partnership with the European Union Delegation in Japan under the theme "Minority Communities and Peoples of Europe and Japan". See the program here.
Jelisava Dobovsek Sethna, President. email@example.com