International Linguapax Award
Linguapax delivers a yearly award on the occasion of the International Mother Language Day (21 February). This prize is a tribute to outstanding action carried out in different areas in favour of the preservation of linguistic diversity, revitalization and reactivation of linguistic communities and the promotion of multilingualism. Candidates are individuals of the academic community and civil society as well as entities or collectives.
2018 Terms of reference
- Linguapax International calls for nominations for the Linguapax International Award on a yearly basis to honour actions carried out in different fields in favour of the preservation of linguistic diversity, revitalization and reactivation of linguistic communities and the promotion of multilingualism.
- Individuals, entities or collectives of the academic community and civil society whose actions fit the descriptions of the aforementioned areas can be nominated as candidates. Persons linked with Linguapax structures or delegations are not eligible.
- Nominations must include contact details of the nominee, a curriculum and a letter of motivation for the candidacy. Additional documentation supporting the work described will be most appreciated, preferably in electronic format, including links to audio-visual media, publications, websites, press releases, etc.
- Nominations must be sent to Linguapax either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by certified mail to Linguapax International, C/ Pelai 12, 3-M, 08001 Barcelona (Spain) before January 21, 2018. Please mention “Linguapax International Award 2018″ in the mail subject or on the envelope.
- The nominations will be treated with full confidentiality.
- The jury of the Linguapax International Award is formed of the members of the Linguapax Board and international Advisory Board as well as the delegates of the Linguapax International Network.
- The decision of the jury will be unquestionable. Exceptionally, the jury might decide to award two candidates.
- The 2018 International Linguapax Award is endowed with 6000 €.
- The 2018 Linguapax Award winner will be proclaimed on February 21, 2018, coinciding with the 18th commemoration of the International Mother Language Day.
- 2017 Award, to Matthias Brenzinger
- 2016 Award, to the Yambirrpa Schools/Djarrma Action Group of the Yolngu Community (Australia) and International and Heritage Languages Association (Canada)
- 2015 Award, to Xavier Albó (Bolivia)
- 2014 Award, to Valencian School (Valencia)
- 2013 Award, to Ledikasyon pu Travayer (Mauritius)
- 2012 Award, to Jon Landaburu Illarramendi (Colombia)
- 2011 Award, to Ganesh Devy (India) and Indigenous Centre for Intercultural Research of Tierradentro (Colombia)
- 2010 Award, to Miquel Siguan (Catalonia) and Robert Phillipson (UK)
- 2009 Award, to Katerina Te Heikoko Mataira (New Zealand)
- 2008 Award, toNeville Alexander (South Africa)
- 2007 Award, to Maya Khemlani David (Malaysia)
- 2006 Award, to Natividad Mutumbajoy (Colombia)
- 2005 Award, to Maurice Tadadjeu (Cameroon)
- 2004 Award, to Fernand de Varennes (Canada) and Joshua Fishman (USA)
- 2003 Award, to Aina Moll ( Balearic Islands) and Tove Skutnabb Kangas (Finland/Denmark)
- 2002 Award, to Bartomeu Melià (Paraguay) and Jerszy Smolicz (Australia/Poland)